Sunday, June 15, 2014

Happy Father's Day!

To all father's out there, I wish you a very pleasant Father's Day.  This day is not a national holiday, and it was mostly started because of Mother's Day. 

A woman called Sonora Smart Dodd was an influential figure in the establishment of Father's Day.  Her father raised six children by himself after the death of their mother.  This was uncommon at the time, as most widowers placed their children in the care of others, or quickly remarried. 

Sonora was inspired by the work of Anna Jarvis, who has pushed for Mother's Day celebrations.  Sonora felt her father deserved recognition for what he had done.  The first time Father's Day was held was in 1910.  Father's Day was officially recognized as a holiday in 1972 by President Nixon. 

Father's Day in the U.S. is celebrated on the third Sunday in June.  It celebrates the contributions that fathers and father figures make for their children lives.  Its origins may lie in a memorial service held for a large group of men, many of them fathers, who were killed in a mining accident in Monongah, West Virginia in 1907. 

Many men disdained the holiday.  As one historian writes, they "scoffed at the holiday's sentimental attempts" to domesticate manliness with flowers and gift-giving, or they derided such holidays as a commercial gimmick to sell more products-often paid by the father himself.  lol  Most men I know are like this, but those same men are there for you when you need them. 

In the 1920's and 1930's there was a movement to scrap Mother's Day and Father's Day for a special day to be called Parent's Day.  The Depression derailed the effort to combine and de-commercialized the holidays.  Struggling retailers and advertisers redoubled their efforts Father's Day a "second Christmas" for men, promoting goods such as neckties, hats, socks, pipes and tobacco, golf clubs and other sporting goods and greeting cards.  

When WWII began, advertisers argued that celebrating Father's Day was a way to honor our American troops and support the war effort.  By the end of the war, Father's Day may not have been a federal holiday, but it was a national institution.  Today, economists estimate that Americans spend more than 1 billion dollars each year on Father's Day gifts.


I want to wish my sweetie a Happy Father's Day.  Smooch!  Smile!

Thank you for reading my blog this week.  Have a great week, and I'll see you next Sunday. 

Sandra K. Marshall, Author
@ Eirelander Publishing
http://www.eirelanderpublishing.com
http://www.skaymarshall.com      

10 comments:

K.T. Bishop said...

It's always a bittersweet day for me. I didn't have one growing up and a relationship with my child is all but non-existent!

Kari Rogers Miller said...

Thanks Sandy for an informative post....we are never too old to learn something new! ;)
Happy Fathers Day to all the Fathers out there.
Kari

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sandy for the informstive post. My father Robert Valentine was born on Valentines day! He was the hardest working man and loving man I know besides my own husband Allen~♡ my friend, lover and what is sometimes overused my "soul mate." I know what true love is when I refect back on those relaionships. My father in law Ron is another special man who has been a part of my life for 30 years. He is also a special man. He has always been a part of our life as well. True love may not always be perfect but is there and you can feel it. We have raised our son with love and compassion for his future wife. We hope and we have faith he will have the same healthy relations with whom ever he shares his life with. Thanks for the thoughtful post. Carol

Melissa Keir said...

Father's are so important to our development. They shape us and show us the men we want to love. :) I was shocked that it took so long for Father's Day to become a holiday. Tweeted!

Anonymous said...

I have a great one thanks Ronald Marshall!

Sandy said...

K.T., I'm sorry. It's sometimes very difficult with children.

Sandy said...

Thank you, Kari.

Thank you for your lovely comment, Carol.

I was surprised, too, Melissa, but I think it was the father's who fought against it. lol

Hey, Sweetie, I'm glad your day was great. We did have a lot of fun.

Anonymous said...

Great post!

In Australia Father's Day is celebrated in September.

Thanks!

Theresa

Sandy said...

Thanks, Theresa. It's always fun to know when other countries celebrate holidays.

Margot Wren said...

Hi great reading yourr post