Sunday, July 1, 2012

Reliving the Sixties in Hairspray

Yes, I grew up in the fifties and sixties, and I graduated high school in 1962.  They were great times.  Last weekend, I went to the New Dinner Theatre in the Kansas City area to see the play, Hairspray. 

Hairspray plays all over the country in small theatres, but many of you have probably seen the movie.  I didn't get to see the show, but I am sure I would have loved it as much as the play.  Hairspray was funny yet addressed some of the issues of the era. 

The performances by all the actors were terrific and they brought back a lot of memories for me.  Hairspray reminded me, we are still dealing with many of the same problems today.  The ones that stood out for me were race and weight, but it was in a humorous format, which had everyone laughing. 

In those days, it wasn't always a laughing matter.  I remember my seventh grade teacher, Mrs. Hamby, being fired for dancing cheek to cheek with her husband, and for allowing the black boys to dance with the white girls.  My spunky mother got a petition up to save Mrs. Hamby's job.  When that failed, she got a petition to fire the principal, and that worked.

There were many good times in those days, but they were far from perfect, and we must remember the imperfections as well as the pleasant.  The era was simpler, but people were still unkind.

For those of you who live in the Kansas City area or planning to come to the area, Hairspray will be playing through August 26th.  After that Social Security with Barbara Eden of I Dream of Jeannie fame will be at the theatre from August 29th to November 4th, The Game's Afoot with Marion Ross of Happy Days, On Golden Pond with Mike Farrell from Mash is January 23rd to March 31, 2013, Weekend Comedy with Cindy Williams from Laverne and Shirley is April 3rd to June 16, 2013, and The Buddy Holly Story is June 20 to August 25, 2013. 

The telephone number for buying tickets is 913-649-7469.  Even though this theatre holds 600 people it was sold out and it was packed.  They have an excellent menu for their matinee and for dinner.  It is included in the price of the ticket for the play.  The only thing extra is the drink (other than coffee and water) and the dessert, which is delicious and you have a choice. 

Thank you for reading my blog.  See you next Sunday.

Have a great week.

Sandra K. Marshall
http://www.amazon.com/author/sandramarshall

8 comments:

Diana LM said...

Thanks for the recommendation Sandy. We haven't been to the New Theatre is quite a while. This could be fun.

I remember a bunch of guys getting kicked out of our high school for growing out their hair touch their collars. It was a huuuuge uproar. My dad got on the band wagon and refused to let my sister and me wear jeans to school for the rest of the year. My brother was still in elementary school, so the whole long hair commotion had been replaced with another social trauma by the time he got to high school. And my dad had mellowed some.

Linda LaRoque said...

Those were the good old days. Yes, things weren't perfect but they were much slower.

Sandy said...

LOL Dad's have a way of mellowing, Diana. Thank you for your comment.

Linda, you're right, it was much slower, and in that respect I wish we could go back. Thanks for coming by.

Anonymous said...

I love The New Theatre shows, too. Never saw Hairspray, though, the movie or play. I think we'll rent it. Thanks.

Ilona Fridl said...

Sandra, I graduated in '67 (Summer of Love), but I remember many issues and problems then, too. I think every era has its bullies of some kind or another. Things have seemed to have gotten worse in some ways with the internet.

Romance, She Wrote said...

I was born in the late 60s so I don't really remember much about that era :-) BUT I always wanted to see the play or the movie. Isn't that the movie where John Travolta plays a mom, or am I thinking of another flick??

Maria

Sandy said...

Thank you for coming by, Anonymous. You'll love Hairspray.

Ilona, I agree the internet has given even more problems. Thank you for your comment.

Maria, you have that right about John Travolta. In the play, a man plays the mother there, too. lol It's hilarious. When you look back to the 60's some day you'll realize that maybe not so much has changed.

Mariam said...

Hi, nice reading your post