|Hubby and Maxie|
|Midnight and Dory|
If you know nothing else about me from reading my blogs; you know I'm an animal lover. My hubby and I love all animals whether domestic or wild. For this blog, I'm going to talk about domestic cats. Smile!
Here are ten facts about cats:
1. Cats can reach great heights: Did you know in 1963,
sent the first cat in to space known as Felicette,
and she was dubbed 'Astrocat' by the press.
2. Felines sleep two thirds of the day: Midnight, our black cat definitely sleeps most of her life away, but Dory, our tortie, doesn't sleep nearly as much because she looks out the window most of the day and night.
3. Cats have human like emotions: Cats can show happiness, excitability, playfulness, depression and anger. There's nothing like a female cat who's angry. lol is very vocal and when she's mad she lets you know it by saying so, or tearing up a roll of toilet paper and scattering it all over the house. On Dory's face I've seen love, puzzlement and fear. She hardly ever gets angry unless a strange cat comes up on our deck.
4. Cat bites are dangerous: I didn't know this, but it's true. Peter Muller, a doctor of veterinary medicine says a cat bite can result in a serious bacterial infection of Pasteurella multocida. It can be treated with penicillin, but if left unchecked it can become very serious, especially in the elderly.
5. Cats can jump high: Cats can jump up to five times their height. We once saw our cat, Maxie, jump almost to the ceiling one time. Believe me it was shocking to see. can jump on the kitchen counters, but Dory can't make it.
6. Cats can be cloned: Wow! This one I didn't know about, but if you have $50,000 to dole out you can replicate a favorite cat by using their DNA.
7. Cats have internal GPS systems: Yep, there are records of a lost cat finding its way home to a favored companion.
8. Cats can use pet doors: I knew dogs could use pet doors, but had no idea cats could to. The story passed down over the years is that Sir Isaac Newton came up with the idea because his favorite cat kept opening the door and disrupting his experiments, so he cut a small hole in the door and covered it with cloth.
9. Cats have a lot of hair: A cats body is cover with approximately 130,000 hairs for each square inch. That means a lot of cleaning, vacuuming, brushing and whatever else it takes to keep house and clothes clean. lol
10. Cats can use the toilet...and they can flush: Experts have been interviewed and they claim there's no need for kitty litter. You can train your cat to use the toilet. (My only fear is that they would be in there flushing the toilet just for the fun of it.)
Cats are very intelligent and they can be taught way more than dogs. The problem is they are independent and for that reason most owners don't try to teach them anything. My husband and I talk to our cats and because of that they've learned our commands and know what's going on through our actions as well as voice.
Have a great week everyone.